Thursday, October 23, 2008

I started making this coat twenty fricking years ago!

Link


I cant believe it. I still love it. It was one of those happy accidents. I had been making a jacket with whacky lapels. Huge and very eighties. Because it was the eighties.
I needed to make something a bit more refined and had spotted a picture of Marlon Brando in Mutiny On The Bounty. It was in a Hollywood Costume calendar book that I still have to this day. It was just a shot of his face and chest. It showed the lapel and I liked it. So I made it. To me it looked very Mariachi. That was more my bent anyway. Thinking it needed a skirt, I pulled out paper on the floor, drew a big sweep and in five minutes my coat was born.

That was twenty years ago. I just cut out another stack of Mens Mediums yesterday. Check out KristiSmart.com for more information.

1 comment:

  1. Love that coat--what a terrific silhouette.
    from the 80's?
    well, it's a classic!

    ReplyDelete